Friday, September 25, 2009

Mrs. Bush Contemplates Halloween Costumes

There are few things in life that I love more than dressing up. That could mean shaving my legs and putting on a pretty skirt OR putting on a wig and pretending to be someone else for the evening. As an adult, the occasion to dress as someone or something else really only comes one night a year. Of course I’m talking about Halloween.

I have not dressed up for Halloween for the past 4 years. It’s really a damn shame. So this year, since Halloween is on a Saturday (and since I’m now friends with some folks who relish dressing up and going out as much as I do) I am planning my Halloween costume!

I’ve been tossing a lot of ideas around in my brain.

Blonde Ambition Era Madonna



This is Madonna at her best. She was making some of her best songs and really just being a huge bitchy bitch and I love her for it. If you know me, you know I love waking up on Saturday and Sunday mornings and watching Truth or Dare as I putter around the house. Best movie ever.
The Problem: My hair isn’t platinum blonde anymore and finding a suitable costume would get pretty expensive. I also don’t want to walk around in public with my ass hanging out.

Marge Simpson



Like every American born in the 80’s I have grown up with The Simpson’s. I love this show because I’m smrt and because I love to laugh. (Misspelling was on purpose, if you don’t get the reference then you need to watch more Simpsons.)
The Problem: I would want to get the hair just right if I was going to be Marge. I found a sweet wig on eBay but it’s $40 and since we’re purchasing a house I don’t have that kind of scratch to throw around on a Halloween costume.

Cyndi Lauper


This one would be pretty easy. I could get the clothes from any Goodwill and I could color my hair using that colored hair spray that’s available around this time every year. It would be super recognizable and super fun to wear a big fluffy skirt.
The Problem: I don’t know Cyndi Lauper that well. I mean, I own her True Colors record and I enjoy it quite a bit, but I would feel like kind of a phony for dressing up like her when I don’t know her music that well. I also feel like this has been done to death.

OK, SO


Those are the ideas that I’m not going with – at least this year. They’ll all be reconsidered in the years to come, I’m sure. So now I’m stuck between 2 very different ideas and I need your help!

Suddenly Seeking Susan Era Madonna


I love this Madonna almost as much as I love Blond Ambition Madonna. She was making some great music; Like A Prayer and True Blue are really fucking good dance albums.
What Works: My hair color is right for this Madonna costume and much like the Cyndi Lauper idea, I could get most of the costume at any Goodwill. It’s not quite as recognizable as Cyndi – but pretty damn close; Especially since I’ll be at a karaoke bar on Halloween and once I bust out with “Holiday” people will get it.

Little Edie Beale




If you have not seen Grey Gardens then you need to rent it IMMEDIATELY. I’m not talking about the Drew Barrymore movie. I mean the original Grey Gardens documentary. It’s gold, I tells ya, GOLD! Edie is so fucking fascinating on screen and she’s so sad. She’s also incredibly spunky and extroverted in front of the cameras, so being her for the night would be a blast.
What works: This entire costume could be put together using things I already own, including a sweet broach I have that was my grandmothers. Then I could go around all night saying that what I was wearing is the best costume for the day. Then I’d laugh and laugh. Not everyone will get it, but I kind of don’t care. Dressing up as Edie would be a hoot and a half.

So please, dear friends (all 3 of you who read this) tell me what you think! Madonna or Little Edie? What shall it be?

5 comments:

  1. I really want to see you as Madonna. I ain't gonna lie.

    Do it to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think little edie will be a popular choice this year. psst! the real documentary kind of made me sad-sick. i even got the extra after-documentary documentary. i couldn't watch all the way through that one.

    madonna's always a solid choice. it's a tough call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though my lovely wife has already done it, I vote that Marge Simpson is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The winner is Madonna. Biff, Marge was not a choice. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete