Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Clean Your Room!

My bedroom has never been clean for more than a week straight. One week is my record.

The main reason for this is that I do my laundry and leave it in the basket for days until the contents have been strewn across the floor and become dirty again before I can even wear them. My cats lay on piles of “clean” clothes so that by the time I shake out a blouse and put it on it’s covered in cat fur and wrinkled beyond wearability. I am 26 years old. You would think that by now I would have matured and grown out of this messy bedroom thing. Alas, much to my husband’s chagrin, I am an adult slob. I tell myself that when I get home from work the first thing I will do will be to FINALLY put all my clothes away, dust the bed’s headboard and vacuum the cat fur laden bedroom. Then when I get home at 5:30 the only thing I can bring myself to do is eat a mixing bowl full of parmesan garlic popcorn and watch 3 hours of Mad Men.

It was the same for me growing up. I would tell myself that when I get home from school, I’ll put my clothes away and dig through the piles on the floor to see if I can locate where that cat pee smell was coming from. Then, I when I finally did get home from school at 3:30, all I wanted to do was eat a mixing bowl of Lucky Charms and watch Golden Girls until dinner time.

Now that I’ve been married for a whole month and I’ve been watching a whole lot of Mad Men, I feel like I need to make much much more of an effort to get my shit together. (Not that I'm aspiring to be in a loveless marriage in an immaculate house.) So tonight is the night. I am going to clean the bedroom. Who knows, I might get crazy and decide to wash the sheets!

No comments:

Post a Comment