Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Treasure!

I found this on my work computer. It must be from the lady that worked here before me. Her work ethic was clearly just as powerful as mine.

Enjoy!



THE BEACH DREAM



I stood watching my wife standing between the drapery and the window overlooking the beach. It always makes me proud to know she belongs to me. She is so beautiful and competent. Since my marriage five years ago, my house and affairs are in perfect order.

The early years had been difficult in some respects. Her opinion of proper behavior and decorum were sometimes at odds with mine. One of the biggest contentions was her hair. She has very curly black hair and I insisted that she wear it up and pinned securely. In the end she saw I was right and conformed to my ways. Then everything was as it should be. She did not smile very much but I think living at the beach can be a bit depressing with all the fog and such.

As I stood watching her, I noticed that her face became slightly flushed and looked out the window to see what she saw. A man was riding past. All I could see was a blur of a form and coattails billowing behind and then he was gone into the fog.

I called her name and she turned quickly looking back over her shoulder at the waves and the departing fog. We resumed our usual routine.

On the 8th of July 1875, I returned home in the middle of the day that was not my custom.

She was standing in the same place, looking at the beach with her hair flowing down her back. I chastised her and insisted she put her hair back up. She stared at me for a minute, smiled a dazzling smile, and ran out the door towards the beach with me following her.

It was not long before the fog engulfed us and I had to stand still to hear where she was. All I could hear were the sound of hooves and a rush of air as the horse and horseman passed me. I twirled around calling her name and there was no response.

The fog began to lift as the tide came in and all I could ever find were her small footprints going into the water.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!

    Now you just need to be very careful that no one finds that on your computer after YOU leave and thinks you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I've already deleted it from the computer. I hope to find some more of her writing on here. It puts me in such a good mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, all I have on left on my work comp is some assignments for kids. Useful? Yes. Entertaining? No.

    ReplyDelete