Monday, February 15, 2010

Cat Show!

On Saturday, the 6th my friend Katrina and I went to the Portland Classic Cat Show. Neither of us had any idea what to expect. I suspected it might be something like Best In Show, but maybe less regimented.





When we first pulled up, I mentioned that I had no idea that so many cat people drove Ford F-150’s and Dodge Rams. Turns out they don’t. There was a gun show right next door to the Cat Show; which made for some hilarious photo ops of big dudes walking past the Cat Show sign holding rifles. I tried to get my cell phone out in time to take pictures, but it was too late.

Speaking of the Cat Show sign, here’s Katrina posing next to it:




It doesn’t get much fancier than that. After seeing this sign, I worried that this might end up being a crapfest and that I’d be calling animal services by the end of the day. Then we walked in to the hall and I was proven wrong.


It just goes to show: never judge a cat show by it’s hastily spray painted sign. There were so many different kinds of cats that I'd only ever read about in my nerdy cat books. In fact, I finally got to see Sphynx kitties in real life!


There were a ton of Persians there as well, which made for some good cat ogling.




Then there was Ringo, my hands down favorite:




His owner was wearing a sweet Hawaiian shirt and had the shiniest mullet I’ve ever seen. I think it may have been a wig.

Overall, the Cat Show was a great success in that I was extremely happy and fascinated the entire time. I don’t really care about all the ribbons and the judging and the money that these people spend on their cats. If that’s how they want to fill their empty lives, that’s their deal. As long as their cats are healthy and happy, I can't really complain.


Brad and I were discussing how we should start a cat show for rescue cats only. Not really sure how that would work, or what the point would be, but it’s a nice idea.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I want a Persian soo badly. I would also love a Maine Coon. And, btw, Ringo is friggin' beautiful! What breed is he?
    Bill and I are most definitely going to get some more kitties once Ralph stops trying to eat them. Yay, kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ringo was an exotic shorthair...something. I can't remember what exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, are Pubert and Zari still stuck in the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete